LENSBABY EXPERIMENTS

I have been blessed with a plethora of freelance projects lately, yet I am still going to complain that there are just not enough hours in the day, thank you very much. I have been working so hard that I needed to just get outside for a few hours on Sunday and take a break.  I signed up for a photography "workshop", I have that in quotes because it wasn't much of a workshop as it was the opportunity to shoot a couple of "models".  It didn't matter, I was happy to drive back to Pasadena (as I am obviously stalking that city) and shoot for a couple of hours with people that are in love with photography.  It was a no pressure day and I was happy to participate.  I really wanted to try out my Lensbaby Composer on the models as I have not really got the hang of it since I got it for my birthday (last September!), I have tried a few times and hated all my results so it has been quietly sitting on my desk for months, making me feel guilty with each glance. I would really love to take a workshop on learning how to use the Lensbaby as it has me baffled. These are some of my experiments with the model in a babbling brook in a wooded area (yes, Pasadena even has little woodland forests).  This model had a very classic look and I wanted to convey a dreamy 'back in time' feel with the shots.  I love the blur (I mean that is the whole point of the Lensbaby) but would have liked a little less blur and a little more control of the focus.  Have any of you tried a Lensbaby?  Do you have any tips and tricks? I would love any Lensbaby advice if you have it.

photo's by::tristan b.

Michelle P (June 7, 2011 at 7:28 PM)  

Such timeless shots, especially love the first one - wow!
My only tactic with the lensbaby is to move the sweet spot to different areas & take way more shots than I think I need.

Miss B. (June 7, 2011 at 9:53 PM)  

Ah, when I visit you must give me a 101, I am so frustrated! Thank Miss Michelle:)

Andree (June 8, 2011 at 4:27 PM)  

Sounds like a fun day and a neat opportunity to shoot a human model vs. ones covered with body hair (no offense to Bella!)!

I was thinking about getting a composer this summer...looks like a bit of learning curve, but very creative!

xo

Miss B. (June 8, 2011 at 9:30 PM)  

Andree, it is very different shooting a human, for starters they actually take direction, lol. I was so impressed I thought they were the best "models" ever. I do recommend a Lensbaby you can probably by one used for a great price on the CM forum;)

Kathy Campbell (June 12, 2011 at 8:53 PM)  

Lovely! I think they are SO CLOSE too! Just keep practicing and you'll get it, I"m sure!

Unknown (June 18, 2011 at 4:49 PM)  

I love my lensbaby! It's not exactly a trick, but I find shooting with a smaller aperture helps me control the blur. Say, f/5.6 of f/8. And after I feel like I've nailed those I can open up and allow more blur.

Also, I LOVE the new sweet 35 optic. Greatness!

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.