ONLINE MODERN CALLIGRAPHY CLASS BY MELISSA ESPLIN

I have been waiting for many moons to get the announcement that designer/calligrapher Melissa Esplin of Isly blog fame had launched her online calligraphy course, finally that day has arrived! Unfortunately, the launch comes at a time when my budget is of the pauper variety, but the course is a work at your own pace not a set time so when I come into my riches (or get some more clients) I will be all over this. I think the price is very reasonable considering a one session calligraphy class could run you about the same amount.  I have tried my hand several times at calligraphy via kits I own Emilie Friday's (darling and lot's of info) and just because it was completely fabulous (and affordable) I picked up Linnea Carta's kit.  It seems I have become a bit of a calligraphy kit/course collector. With any new skill you can't expect to be perfect at it over night, if you are I am not happy (a wee bit jealous) and we shouldn't talk for awhile. I have found that my time to practice my lettering is nearly nil and when I do I am convinced I am doing it wrong and will have embedded bad form for the rest of my hand lettering life span; I have issues, true. You my friend may not be as neurotic in which case I highly recommend looking into this course. From experience with the kits I know that I would have loved the opportunity to watch someone create the letters thus improving my own form.  I am thinking this course would be just the impetuous I need to get moving in the hand lettering department. You?

Masha (June 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM)  

I've always looked at such calligraphy in envy, but had never thought that it could be something I could learn. Huh! Maybe I should try it out.

Speaking of schools and courses, are you planning to have Foto School again anytime soon? :)

Mandy (June 21, 2012 at 8:59 PM)  

Wow this is great! Going to sign up!

Amy (June 22, 2012 at 7:35 AM)  

GASP! So exciting . . . except maybe for the fact that I, too, am of the pauper persuasion at present. Someday. Someday I'll take a calligraphy course AND one of your Souvenir Foto School courses. It will be a good, too day . . .

Melissa (June 25, 2012 at 11:53 AM)  

Thank you so much for the shout out of my course!! It's really been a labor of love for my husband and I. I have loved seeing the work created from students that have never even picked up a pointed pen before.

Thanks again!

Unknown (November 21, 2012 at 2:32 PM)  

Wonderful post! Would you recommend one of the kits (Emilie Friday's or Linnea Carta's) over the other for a beginner?
I fell in love with the idea of calligraphy after reading your blog and seeing Anthropolgie's new Linnea Carta calligraphy set!

Miss B. (November 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM)  

Kendra, I think you get more for your money with Emilie's set (she gives a lot), plus extra goodies, but if you are really interested Melissa's course is very comprehensible and it helped me immensely to be able to watch how she moved her hand. Linnea Carta's is beautiful though, so something to collect eventually;)

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.