MOVING TIPS & QUIPS

They say that besides death, moving is one of the most stressful situations you can put yourself in. 'They' are right. I am quite exhausted from all the planning and prepping and we haven't even decided on a place yet, let alone start the actual move. I have moved quite a lot in my time, mostly in the same immediate area though. This is a much bigger move, which we have discussed for months, so I have been both mentally getting ready for it and physically (no, I have not been lifting weights or anything).  I thought I would share some of the things I have done in case any of you are thinking of a move or know someone that is or just want to be prepared for the future.  I am not much of a collector but I do own a lot of books.  A few months ago I went through my massive collection and weeded out which ones I was willing to part with.  I am probably going to do this again soon. After I created a stockpile of books I went to my Amazon account where I had created an Amazon seller account, I chose to sell my books, but since I didn't want them in my apartment I shipped them all to Amazon fulfillment to sell, pack and ship. I in turn sat at home and had the profits deposited into my bank account electronically.  Talk about easy peasy. I must have sent them over a hundred books.  That brings my collection down considerably and makes for a lot lighter future moving day. If you don't know about this program, I highly recommend it. The profits are a lot less than if you sold the books yourself, but to not have the headache of packing and shipping one-off books is so worth the extra fee.  Knowing that we were going to move, I had decided when I designed my new studio space to have everything in organized boxes so I could seamlessly transport the studio when the time came and it would be super easy to get back to work wherever we landed.  Instead of having drawers built-in for my custom desk (which I never did show you), I ordered multiples of these letter boxes. All of the things that I would have put in a drawer I put in these boxes, I even went one step further and  added acrylic inserts in them, so everything had a place and I didn't just have boxes of 'stuff' (for the record I don't do well with 'stuff' I don't even like the word). For my shop inventory I bought Kraft photo boxes, they are the perfect size to house the inventory and had the bonus nameplates on the front so I could identify what is in each box. Come moving day all I will need to do is pop the top on them and my inventory is ready to go!  This solution may not work for everyone but I can tell you having my studio 'portable' has made life a lot easier and more organized.  Whatever I don't use on an every day basis I can just move to the garage or the supply closet with ease. My studio space is very small so I need to be able to utilize as much of it as I can.

Now for the quips part of this post.  I am going to have to sell some of my possessions it's time to, but I know that a garage sale is not the place for such precious items as my beloved Gocco and a few of my Lensbaby lenses. Any ideas of how I should go about selling these things? I want to be able to sell some excess paper, envelopes and supplies that I can't throw away, are not that great for donation but would be welcome in the right person's hands. Should I create a moving sale page on the blog? I'm open to suggestions.

P.S. These flowers were for sale at a Farmer's Market in North Carolina.  I loved that the vendor displayed the stems in Kerr jars, so charming!

Andrea (March 28, 2012 at 3:39 PM)  

How about https://copious.com/ for selling some of your stuff? I just heard about it today (coinkydink or what?) and it sounds like it might be a good way to have a virtual garage sale.

Merissa Revestir (March 28, 2012 at 4:07 PM)  

I've seen bloggers sell their personal belongings on their blogs. Some of them create a page just for it. I think it's a fab way to get stuff that you previously loved into the hands of someone who will love them back. Your customer would likely be your blog reader and share the same likes as you do. I'm all for it. And I'm all for seeing your paper goods which I <3!
ps the flowers are amazing!

Sew a Fine Seam (March 28, 2012 at 4:25 PM)  

Sell it through your blog! I've seen people do it right on the main page. works like a charm:)

Slappin B!tches Since 1982! (March 28, 2012 at 4:34 PM)  

Ahh you are getting rid of a Gocco!? BUT WHY?! I hand made every single one of my sisters wedding save the dates,invitations,place cards, programs as well as her baby shower stuff using that amazing gadget. You should just do it through your blog, this way you know that those amazing items are going to a safe and loving home... hint hint nudge nudge no I absolutely am not interested in the Lensbaby lenses or see what Gocco stuff you have at all...

Susan (March 28, 2012 at 5:35 PM)  

You could do an online yard sale like Oh Joy, via Copious maybe?!

Claire H. –  (March 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM)  

MissB,
Short moving story...last time we moved from New York State to Cape Cod...my husband had rotator cuff surgery a month before our move. Couldn't and wasn't allowed to use his right arm for weeks and weeks. I packed up the entire house...300 boxes, managed the entire move, drove the car from NY to CC (which was packed with lots of 'stuff' as well) and unpacked when we got here...good idea of getting rid of 'stuff' before you move, very cleansing experience!

As far as your Gocco or Lensbabies...I am sure SFS Alumni would be interested...;-)
best, and looking forward to April 1st SFS!
C

Miss B. (March 28, 2012 at 7:49 PM)  

Oh thank you all for the suggestions! I will look into both Copious and seeing if it makes sense here. I have a lot of supplies that I am just not using and some cool photo props to boot!

Uno Kidney (March 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM)  

I am interested in your lensbabies! And if it helps I am an alum sfs!

Toi –  (March 29, 2012 at 10:02 AM)  

My future sister in law did a virtual garage sale on her blog and it was a massive hit. You have a really strong following so maybe you could start with that. You could also link it to your facebook page. I think people that stop by here would be a great target audience for your stuff.

I'm so going to try to sell my books on Amazon. When I moved I brought them all with me, but I really need to scale back on them. Might as well make a little money while doing it! Thanks for the idea.

Moose (March 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM)  

are you driving through Colorado on your move??!!! You are welcome to stop by my studio and unload envelopes, paper, Gocco!!!

Kathleen (April 1, 2012 at 9:50 PM)  

I like the idea of selling some of your things through online. Lots of buyers out there are waiting for your items!

Self Storage Nottingham (April 26, 2012 at 3:07 AM)  

You are right, moving can be very stressful. But personally, I find the prospect of starting anew in a new place is exciting although the idea of leaving a place that I've grown to love and friends/family is sad. With regards to the stress this can be dealt with through planning and having a moving check list or lists.

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.