MMXII 28:: EDITING A PHOTO-A-DAY IN 2012

MMXII::28::AFTER
I saw a documentary last weekend called Ghost Bird about the discovery of a thought to be extinct bird called the Ivory-billed Woodpecker. I don't want to ruin it for you in case you want to see it, for those that think a documentary about a woodpecker is about as exciting as watching paint dry I should add that the story that unfolded for me was one of hope, the power of belief and great sadness. It's amazing how destructive humans can be but equally amazing what humans can accomplish if they set their minds to it. The Nature Conservancy was started as a result of the Ivory-billed Woodpeckers first round with extinction. This pair of birds are Western Meadowlarks. I live in a concrete jungle, there's pockets of nature here and there but I never see little yellow birds flitting about. This pair is as close I have ever been to seeing a bird like this in Los Angeles. I once had a hummingbird come visit my back door, I about imploded with delight. When I was a kid I'd see Blue Jays all the time, but I haven't seen a Blue Jay since I was about six, no idea where they could have gone, but I don't blame them for moving. I am hoping with our impending re-location that we pick a spot where seeing a beautiful bird is an everyday occurrence. I pinky promise that I would never, ever take it for granted.

I will be editing a photo a day for the remainder of 2012::Project MMXII, this is my 'after', you can view the 'before' here.

Heather (January 29, 2012 at 8:39 AM)  

I bet if you had a humming bird feeder you would see more humming birds. My parents are in OC and they have 4 feeders, my Dad likes to brag that they have seen all of them full (4 perches to a feeder).

Out here in the desert, the little brown birds would drink all the stuff before I ever saw a humming bird!

Miss B. (January 29, 2012 at 3:45 PM)  

Heather what do they put in it the feeder to make them visit? I want hummingbird visitors!

HeidiRose (January 29, 2012 at 3:58 PM)  

Oh my, that's almost the saddest thing I ever heard...no beautiful birds.
Here, let me send you one of mine.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49824873@N05/6012626496/in/photostream
These little jewels are indeed a
daily occurrence. They hang around the crocosmia (in the photo), scarlet runner bean flowers and butterfly bushes all summer.

I didn't realize the class had limited enrollement; due to my silly indecisiveness I missed out.
Next time, maybe.
Heidi

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.