HULA HOOPING RULES!

I decided I would put my sneakers on and exercise the other day. Exercise? How novel.  Why that day and not the previous 1,825 others? Don't know. If I was going to do something as wild as workout I was surely not doing it alone and convinced my upstairs neighbor to join me. This I figured would prevent me from giving up after a few minutes. I am dedicated to many things, athletics is not one of them. We decided to walk to the park (which is many, many blocks away) and then do multiple laps around the park track.  All was going as planned and I was quite smug with success when we spotted a large group of hula hoopers. Hula hoopers?  I was not dehydrated and seeing things. These glowing people were smiling, laughing and dare I say having a grand time?  The neighbor and I walked towards these beaming hoopers and asked if it was a class, "No, we are just having fun, take a hoop and try it," said a ballerina lithe hooper.  As if in a trance we borrowed some spare hula hoops and started swiveling our hips with multiple failed attempts, finally my brain remembered that I used to do this effortlessly about four decades earlier and things started to click. I couldn't stop laughing and this was after all the laps around the park.  We wanted to know where we could get a hoop and a woman with abs of steel said she made custom ones, "We''ll take two," the neighbor and I said in unison.  

Today, we went to the park and picked up our custom creations and hooped for 45 minutes, laughing nearly the entire time.  The word on the street is that you can burn up to 100 calories every ten minutes, at this rate I shall be Kate Moss by June. This is what I plan on doing this weekend, if you are having trouble getting motivated to exercise may I suggest you find a hula hoop, a friend, put some music on and let the fun begin? I swear my stomach muscles feel tighter already, I am not sure if it's from the hooping or laughing but I forgot I even had muscles in that region of my body so I think it's a good sign this is working.

Lavender Playground (April 9, 2011 at 1:22 AM)  

I bought a hula hoop too last month and have only used it twice..hummm maybe I should stop blogging and go hula hooping now...

Crissy (April 9, 2011 at 3:07 AM)  

I have been hooping for a little over a year. I thinks it's a much more entertaining cardiovascular exercise than aerobics or running. What I like most about is, I can do it at home and it is very easy on the body.

Nadine (April 9, 2011 at 10:55 AM)  

A quick note: I truly enjoy your blog each and every day. A delightful combination of posts that are flawlessly written. By the way, you have motivated me to dust off the hoops and give them a whirl. Best for a terrific weekend.

Sara @ The Crazy Cozads (April 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM)  

That is fantastic!! I think I will have to pick up a hoola hoop the next time I'm out. I'm a random exerciser as well - goes to show you never know what you'll find when you get a wild hair to exercise!

Miss B. (April 9, 2011 at 5:49 PM)  

Yea, hoopers unite! *Note, you need to find a hoop made for 'hooping' the child versions are really light and harder to keep momentum, if you can find a weighted hoop, I mean super light weighted, like the ones you can find on line for this discipline, you will be much happier with your hooping.

BTW, if you do a search there's usually free hoop get togethers all over the country where you can hoop with tons of people. Free + fun, sounds good no? The neighbor and I are going to one Sunday.

xx,

Miss B.

Making it Lovely (April 10, 2011 at 6:08 PM)  

Fun! I bought a hula hoop a few years ago, and Brandon made fun of me mercilessly. I wonder whatever happened to it now…

kathy (April 11, 2011 at 12:04 AM)  

Coincidence! I just bought a hula hoop on Saturday spontaneously while I waited for my car alignment. It was loads of fun. The hula hoop I bought was kind of cheap and light, so it kept falling. Are custom hula hoops heavier?

Anyways, love the blog! New follower right here ^__^

Miss B. (April 11, 2011 at 1:17 AM)  

Nicole and Kathy, make sure the hoops are weighted and meant for this modern hooping, they are still light (I think .5 lb?) but the one's meant for adult exercise (fun) are heavier than the kid's version and are MUCH easier to use. With the lighter one's you have to move really fast to keep them up and that can't be fun.

Nicole get Brandon to do it with you and you both with be laughing so much that it won't matter who is teasing who, it feels so good to laugh so hard that your stomach aches;)

Andree (April 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM)  

Hey there Miss B! What a fun way to get into/stay in shape! Hula Hoops were more for my sisters' age group, so I never learned the technique. However I did take some baton twirling in summer camp. Does that count?

Hope all is well and you're smiling : )

hugs,

Damaris @Kitchen Corners (April 19, 2011 at 1:07 PM)  

How absolutely fun! I love hula hooping but also haven't done it in forever. Enjoy your exercise. I wish i could remember my stomach muscles.

Taylor Starr* (July 27, 2011 at 9:28 PM)  

I know that this was an old post but I had to write a comment. I love that I saw this I started hooping a little over a year ago and actually hooping is the whole reason I started blogging! It is an awesome life style and really does keep you in shape :)

Dan –  (August 10, 2011 at 7:28 PM)  

This is an amazing flash mob video! For one, it’s hard to hoop like this. Have you tried it?
Another point, it’s really cool that they raised $9000 for kids before-school breakfast programs.
Makes me smile. http://youtu.be/SBhkkjLEzb0

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.