STIEG LARSSON TRILOGY

I just finished the last book in the Stieg Larsson trilogy, so bittersweet.  Whilst I was reading I was like an addict, never wanting to eat or sleep but to just make it to the next fix.  Now that it is finally over I am left bereft that I may never spend any serious amount of time with Larsson's cast of characters in the Swedish underworld.  Mr. Larsson died shortly after the final manuscripts were submitted to his publisher so unless there is a miracle, he rises from the dead and writes another series, this shall be my last pass at spending time in the chaotic world he created. My future mother-in-law was the 'pusher' in this case, she has managed to get this die hard non-fiction reader to dip her toe into the fictional pool of the thriller/mystery genre.  I am afraid I may have gone off the deep end.  I do believe there is going to be a plethora of Swedish crime novels in my future, but I doubt any one of them will be as intelligent and exciting as Larsson's, yet I am willing to invest the time to abate my withdrawals with cheap substitutes.  

I read the last novel on my Iphone via the Kindle app and discovered a whole new world of possibilities open up to me--I could in one touch look up any word that had me stumped and I received a suggestion list of 29 books that were similar that I could download a free preview to if I was so inclined (I am). I now plan to read all my trashy novels this way unless I get them from the library. I will buy only books that either look aesthetically pleasing (who wants to download a coffee table book?), or if someone peruses my library makes me look smarter than I am--priorities.  Do I recommend this series?  Yes, if you want a very intelligent thriller with a bit of history thrown in. No, if graphic sex and violence will cause your eyeballs to melt. I had no idea that the latter would be part of the stories but by the time I realized it was I was already too far hooked to turn away. If it's any conciliation I do believe that both are not gratuitous and add to the story but what do I know?  I'm just an addled book addict.

Unknown (December 29, 2010 at 4:16 PM)  

Would it surprise you to know that with my Amazon GC that my brother gave me for my birthday I bought this? http://www.amazon.com/Stieg-Larssons-Millennium-Trilogy-Deluxe/dp/0307595579/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1293657259&sr=8-7

Miss B. (December 29, 2010 at 8:26 PM)  

Of course not because we were separated at birth and if I knew that the box set was available when I started reading these I would have bought it in a heart beat. Enjoy LOT'S of sleepless nights!

P.S. The first part of the 1st book is a little boring, just stay with it, I promise it picks up and then you won't be able to put them down!

kimberj (December 29, 2010 at 9:05 PM)  

my son bought me the first 2 books in the trilogy for Christmas so I'll be starting the new year with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo! It sounds like he did the right thing :) He is a wonderful, thoughtful, intelligent, and handsome 22 year old college student, what a lucky mama am I????

Cookie and Kate (December 30, 2010 at 12:27 AM)  

You've sold me on this book. Sometimes I'm hesitant to start reading a new book because I get so caught up in them, but I'll reach for this one the next time I need to escape from the real world. :)

Miss to Mrs (December 30, 2010 at 10:05 AM)  

Dang it! I've been resisting these books, but now I'm going to have to break down and read them. This is just like when Jules finally broke me down to read the Twilight series!

Andree (December 30, 2010 at 2:49 PM)  

Amazing! My Mom just sent me all three!!!! I can see them right now as I write this! Looking forward to starting off 2011 with some good lit!

I hope you had a wonderful Xmas and what are your festive plans for demain soir?

Unknown (January 4, 2011 at 10:26 PM)  

Bereft is the perfect word. I finished them a few days ago also, and that is exactly how I feel. I need more! Just like junkies do *weeps*

Unknown (March 12, 2011 at 1:28 PM)  

This is my first attempt to join in on a "book club" online, or even in person for that matter. I miss the old "live" chat rooms that would be perfect for book discussions but then they would always be full of stalking perverts so I'm sure that accounted for their demise.

Anyway, I have read Stieg Larsson's trilogy and seen all three of the Swedish films and I can honestly say that I should be qualified as an addict of both. The books just engulfed me and I got over my irritation over so many Swedish references quickly and just hung on for the ride with great enjoyment.

Let me say that Noomi Rapace was undeservedly ignored by the Oscars, but that really didn't surprise me since the Oscars are like an election and do not concentrate on the actual performances. But since it's still the main barometer for most films, I feel very disappointed that the films were ignored, especially Noomi's surreal embodiment of the character Lisbeth Salander. It's as if Noomi was transformed for those films.

But what I'm feeling now is an emptiness. I've read other books since then and thoroughly enjoyed some, like "Water For Elephants" and "Skippy Dies" to name a couple. I can't fight off this urge to reread Stieg Larsson's mesmerizing trilogy. In fact I'm sure I'll enjoy it even more since the films omitted some parts of the books that I perceived as very important to the building of Lisbeth's character.

Stieg Larsson was obviously a man, like me, who fully supports equality for all women in every way. He also obviously loathes any type of abuse as I do...and his intolerance for the Neo-Nazis especially rang true with me.

I tend to write too much, but then it's a quality that I enjoy...and I hope I don't bore most of you. I'm just trying to find a spot where I can share and debate opinions on various books and their authors.

But today is the St. Patrick's Day parade and celebration so reading will have to wait until I sober up tomorrow...and recover from an impending hangover as well. Erin Go Bragh!

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.