HAND LETTERING LOVE::OBLIQUE PEN & PENCIL

It seems impossible that I have not only been practicing my lettering, but trying out new techniques.  I decided awhile back that no matter how busy I got that I was going to make time to practice.  I can't just will myself to become better at this discipline, I need to put the time in.  Last week I decided to take a lesson to learn how to use an oblique pen.  Why?  I read that it will assist with angle, which is an important detail in calligraphy, this tricky angle quotient.  What did I learn?  I learned that I am horrible with the slant, just horrible, a lot of new students are. Like thousands before me, I destroyed my tines, but eventually can see how this odd looking instrument can assist in creating beautiful thin hairlines and a uniform look to my lettering (something that has alluded me for months).  The teacher suggested I buy an oblique pencil which I have since ordered.  It's supposedly a great tool to practice your pointed pen work. I have been practicing using these free Dr. Joe Vitolo videos (excellent to see how to create your letters) and using these free guidelines (the largest version under the Copperplate/Engrosser's Script Instruction ).  I have been using the Canson Pro marker paper, it's nice and smooth and I can slip the guidelines under the paper and see them clearly. My traditional calligraphy is pretty rank (it might make your eyes bleed), but I am going to just keep practicing and see where it takes me.  My goal is by this time next year to have legible letters/words to show you in the Copperplate style. It is going to take a lot more practice!  Let me know if you have any questions about any of the above, I am happy to try to answer them.

Anonymous –  (December 13, 2012 at 12:42 AM)  

Love the passion! Being (in my head) an unrecognized, tortured and inexperienced artist with (in reality) a boring corporate carrier I can greatly relate to you approach of putting more practice behind the skill. What's the point of seeing all those images in my head if I'm not able and never get to execute them, right? Thinking of setting a couple of artistic goals for the next year, too :)

Good luck in your practice! And I love your blog ;-)

J.

Anonymous –  (December 13, 2012 at 2:34 AM)  

I love it! Love all you do and share!,
LOVE!

chiara (December 13, 2012 at 9:59 AM)  

Man, I love all the tips, links and good stuff you post!

Miss B. (December 13, 2012 at 10:40 AM)  

J. oh I HIGHLY recommend just starting somewhere! Even doodling! I couldn't even draw a stick figure a couple of years ago and I bought this book which changed everything:

http://www.amazon.com/So-You-Thought-Couldnt-Draw/dp/1887823271

I have asked for this book for Christmas, which might be a good one for you too:

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Painting-Imaginary-Animals-Mixed-Media/dp/1592538053/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355412998&sr=1-1&keywords=imaginary+animals

Thank you anonymous, I love that you are enjoying!

Diane, the pencil is supposed to be good for left-hander's (is that a word?) BTW, did I ever mention that almost all the 'famous' calligraphers on the blogosphere are left-handed?! Neither Snow, I believe Paperfinger, lot's! I am almost positive I remember you writing that you were left-handed, if not than ignore my blather!


Chiara, I love that someone as creative as yourself likes my links! Let me know if you ever try anything!

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.