THE SILVER HORSE

I love this photograph, it's not technically a great photograph, but it's what the photograph means to me that makes it so special. I think it's important for any photography enthusiast to embrace their photographs that may not be 'perfect', it's your free trip down memory lane, in the imperfection you may have captured more than a photograph, perhaps a feeling.  We have lived in the country now for nearly six months, it has had it's ups & downs, but the 'up' for me is being so close to a horse stable.  I am so fascinated by these beautiful, gentle creatures. I hadn't had much experience with horses prior and I admit that I was really intimidated the first few times I went to visit them. I think they sensed my trepidation and stayed far away from the weird individual with the big black thing growing from her face. I decided to try another approach and wouldn't bring my camera, slowly making my way to the fence and just watching them from afar.  My husband a.k.a. Dr. Dolittle, could of course go up to the fence and the horses would trot over and want him to hand feed them.  All animals love him, I am both envious and jealous. I decided to just copy him and try to feed them clover which is their favorite (btw, six months ago I wouldn't be able to tell you what clover looked liked if you paid me to guess). I eventually was able to draw the affection of the 'silver horse'. That's what my husband dubbed the stallion even though I am pretty sure it's white, but I will allow creative license, after all who am I to judge? I named my girl dog George.  Once I knew that the silver horse would come to me when I was at the fence I started to bring my camera again, but not take photos, just have it on me. The other day around dusk, I had some time alone with 'Silver' and he came right up to me. I fed him some tasty wild grasses that were growing high outside of his corral and although he would eat continuously I stopped and brushed my hand along his beautiful, cashmere soft muzzle. He stood still and allowed the attention and then I slowly brought my camera to my eye. I was able to shoot some up close shots that I had been envisioning for as long as I have 'known' Silver.  This was my favorite shot. I love how soulful that look is, this is the closest I could get with the lens I had (the 50mm). We are planning to get some photos printed for the house and I am most definitely adding this to the wall. I know it will always remind me of this time in my life and our grand adventure.

Amy (November 20, 2012 at 7:57 AM)  

Oh, I love that photo . . . what a handsome fellow he is!

Sketch of Senses (November 20, 2012 at 8:54 AM)  

Love the photo and your first sentence! Totally agree!

Susan (November 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM)  

So gorgeous, wow. What a special experience you had...he trusts you now. Since I'm a photography novice, I'm curious...what's not perfect about this shot?

Ez (November 20, 2012 at 11:39 PM)  

Oh I love this so much! A photo very much like this (of a horses eye no less) is what first sparked my love of photography. The image used no technique whatsoever (I had no idea what I was doing), but it will always remain one of my most favorite images. Thank you for reminding me! I'm going to have to dig it up and try a b+w filter on it for fun. Your shot is just so beautiful! xo Ez

Kathy Campbell (November 22, 2012 at 11:32 AM)  

I am so glad you are enjoying the joy of horses! And actually, you are closer to the correct name. The only true white horses are albinos, otherwise they are called grey horses. That means that this horse is grey which is almost silver! :D

Miss B. (November 22, 2012 at 10:22 PM)  

Susan thank you for the question! I think I underexposed his eye which made for loss of detail (it's sooo black). I also don't like to 'chop' things off and I definitely chopped his poor ear off! If I also would have liked to get more of his muzzle in the frame, it just feels a bit squished to my eye:)

Ez, I am sure that your photo is gorgeous, you have such an innate talent and since you are so artistic I am sure it was beautiful!

Miss B. (November 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM)  

Kathy, I didn't know that at all! I just learned that the Lone Ranger's horse was called 'Silver' so I don't think my husband is as awesome for coming up with that name off the cuff as I did, lol.

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.