NEUTROGENA RAPID WRINKLE REPAIR MOISTURIZER REVIEW

I am a skeptic when it comes to drug store face products, I don't hold any notion that a lotion bought at Target would do anything but perhaps moisturize.  I am also pragmatic and when I needed a face cream because I didn't want to waste my fave splurge, I bought the Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle repair for night. My thinking was that if I used the drugstore brand at night then I could use my splurge during the day thus the splurge would last longer.  I am very picky about face creams, I have super dry skin and for some reason manufacturer's are under the very wrong belief that people with dry skin want a heavy, waxy cream on their visage which is not true; I want something that feels light, like a drink of water for my face and that I feel makes my skin soft without it feeling waxy or greasy, my splurge does just that.  I bought the Neutrogena because it felt nice and light, it does come with a warning that it is strong and may make your skin start to feel irritated and flake. I of course ignored the warning and my skin did get very red and irritated, because I was using way too much (think slather instead of dot). I took it down to every two nights instead of every night and then when my skin calmed down, I went back to every night. I have had hyper-pigmentation on my cheeks for ages (it's horrible like a cluster of fat freckles, without the charm of freckles). After two weeks I noticed a big difference in my skin, it was less 'splotchy' and definitely more even. I have had wrinkles around my eyes since I was 10, I laugh at almost anything (it makes me a great companion), so I wasn't expecting anything to go away there and it didn't, but my skin in general looks more fresh and 'even' and for me that's worth more than a wrinkle repair. Let me forewarn you again, this is a very strong product, if you have sensitive skin take it slowly, use sparingly--you have been warned! I was reading reviews this evening and people are crazy for this product and it even won a 'best of award' with Allure.  It is more expensive than a traditional skincare product at the drugstore ($20), but still a total steal compared to a specialty beauty store product. I found a nice article from Vogue on retinoids that might be of some interest to you. If you have been curious in this type of product I can completely recommend this to you without hesitation. Another warning would be to not use this under your eyes, it's way too strong and you will be sorry that you didn't listen to me. They do have a product specifically for under the eye, which I will most likely try since I am pretty happy with the results I have had so far. Let me know your thoughts or if you have another recommendation, I am always open to hearing about new products!

Amy (November 16, 2012 at 8:25 AM)  

You know, I've picked this up a thousand times, but the Retinol scares me. Maybe I'll start with the eye cream . Hmm. . .

Also, love the graphic. :)

Miss B. (November 16, 2012 at 8:30 AM)  

Amy, if you don't need it the retinol is strong, which is so surprising because you don't expect that for $20, but if you think you do then I am singing its praises:) Also, you need to be careful about the sun after using a product like this because you will burn your face off. I know I have made it even scarier, hah!

jane (November 16, 2012 at 8:53 AM)  

was totally expecting to find that your splurge was la mer. instead, i happily find that you and i use the same moisturizer!! it's the best + now i'll have to try the neutrogena :)

Rachel (November 16, 2012 at 4:25 PM)  

Oh my god. It's like you read my mind. I've spent more hours than I care to tell you this week searching for the best face lotion for hyperpigmentation. Mine is driving me nuts! There's a Shisedo one that people rave about but it's so much money. I might give this a try first and see what happens. THANK YOU!

Anonymous –  (November 16, 2012 at 5:16 PM)  

I was going to recommend my splurge moisturizer but, I don't have to...it is yours, too! I just love it. I believe I will give your Neutrogena night a try. I really love the way you blog. It is so conversational. Have a beautiful weekend!

Notes From ABroad (November 16, 2012 at 5:18 PM)  

Maybe I will fill a tub with it and dip my whole body in :)

Miss B. (November 16, 2012 at 10:27 PM)  

Jane, Kathy & Rachel heed my warning and go super light, maybe try a spot and see how your skin reacts so you don't look like I did after a couple days (like I fell on asphalt face first). Just work your way up by using every two days, the results are pretty fast. Remember DON'T put this under your eyes, it will not be pretty and will be painful. Rachel, if you are using for hyper-pigmentation, remember to keep out of the sun even walking down the street it will defeat the purpose and stay away from hydra-quinine, it's in a lot of hyper-pigmentation formulas and can be super toxic. I am curious to know all your results, btw, almost all drugstores (and Target) will take your product back (even used) if you aren't happy so there's nothing to lose (but sallow skin). I sound like an advertisement, lol.

Notes from Abroad what are they using in Buenos Aires? Is there a retinol craze there as well? Curious, I always find that drug stores overseas always have the best products!

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.