SCANNING YOUR LETTERING + FAUX CHALKBAORD EFFECT

I found a couple of great tutorials for you this week from James Ketsdever on how to clean up your lettering in Photoshop and how to create a faux chalkboard lettering effect as well. If you have been on my Hand Lettering Love board on Pinterest you may have seen these already, but it's always nice to have a place where you can easily access this info, right?  I am not having any luck getting concrete information for you on what nibs calligraphers/letterers are using to create non-script lettering (I will keep poking around).  I have tried a few different nibs without much success, who knew it would be harder to print with a nib than create a script?  Not I.  For the image above I tried a nib called a Brause Steno, it is referred to as the 'Blue Pumpkin' (cute right?). I also tried a new black sumi ink that glides really nicely on the page (I am using mini Rhodia notepads for practice).  If you are new to this craft and doing lettering practice like myself, do yourself a huge favor in the beginning and get yourself a nice smooth paper stock that will gladly accept your ink.  I've tried cheaper sketch pads which just allow the ink to bloom and get yucky fibers stuck in the nib tip.  Better to try to give yourself an advantage with a smooth surface, learning a new skill is tough enough as it is without adding shoddy supplies to the mix!

P.S. When my husband tells me he loves me, every once in a while I will ask 'how much?', without hesitation (and in his very serious + deadpan intonation) he tells me the same thing his mom told him when he was a little boy--'To the moon and back, round and round infinity times.' I think it's super sweet and I love to imagine my husband as a little boy asking his mom how much she loves him.

P.P.S. The lovely Torie (a fellow lettering enthusiast) emailed me that Kelsey C. wrote a wonderful little calligraphy article on Note to Self, a must read for all us newbies!

Naomi Shiek (September 27, 2012 at 3:30 PM)  

I had a teacher at uni who told us to use cheap printer paper for ink work. It took me months after to get that he was testing us. I still don't know what for, but still. The difference I experienced by using a suitable quality paper was phenomenal.

I so love hearing about your learning! You inspire me to be as passionate and find as much joy in what I do too.

Miss B. (September 27, 2012 at 4:15 PM)  

Thank you sweet Naomi! That's a test to see who will run into traffic first from frustration, lol!

Anonymous –  (September 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM)  

i know this is completely off the subject, but how is bella?! i looove your posts about her! =)

James (September 28, 2012 at 3:25 PM)  

Glad you could use the chalkboard stuff. Well done, Miss B. Love your blog.

Anonymous –  (September 29, 2012 at 4:42 PM)  

Excited to see you trying your hand at the art I love:) Always happy to share any lettering info with you!
Best,
Debi

Kelsey @ Pinegate Road (October 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM)  

Thank you so much for the shout out! :) I wrote that right at the beginning of my interest in lettering, and I totally agree that the paper makes all the difference! I just received my shipment of nibs from John the Bookseller (and I think I found that through you, here). I was SO excited to test out nibs that flex and stretch and are at all the different angles. It makes such a huge difference in what your final letters will look like — I was astonished!

As of your 'regular nib' issue, I've been told to use the broad nib. In that writing illuminating and lettering book by Edward Johnston, he should go through exactly how to create the regular letters, with what strokes to use, where, and in what direction. I used to watch my one professor do this, and he gave me that info! it really helps watching others before you give it a go (for me at least) so you can look to youtube! Here is my professor's channel: http://vimeo.com/user10244094 it might be a great start if you're having trouble!

Miss B. (October 1, 2012 at 7:11 PM)  

Debi, so happy to have you visit!

Miss B. (October 1, 2012 at 7:14 PM)  

Kelsey isn't it fun to find that the different nibs react differently? I think it's part of the treasure hunt of this craft. I would love to know which ones you are gravitating to. Thank you for the link, I feel like watching someone create the letters is SO helpful! Thank you!

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.