THE MEMORY PALACE

Yesterday I worked through multiple power outages losing the files I was working on innumerable times. I stopped and started too many times to count because of a storm so strong it blew our hundred pound gas grill off our deck, down the stairs and onto the back lawn. It now has a giant dent down the middle like it was punched in its grill 'nose'--bummer. I asked my husband if it was a hurricane but he just rolled his eyes and asked for help with the grill. It rained so hard that the mailman was going to drive right past my house but I had packages that needed to go to clients so I ran down the road like a crazy person and then scowled at him for not stopping; my mascara running down my face, not a pretty picture.  What does this have to do with an old timey elephant and The Memory Palace?  Nothing, I was just on a rant.

Back to the topic at hand. I rarely listen to music when I work anymore. When I am working I want to be entertained, I want to learn something new, I want this new technology that is the interwebs to titillate me. I had mentioned to a friend that I was addicted to a history podcast, I thought she would continue with her conversation as history is not exactly the most exciting topic in casual conversation but she excitedly said that her friend did a podcast called The Memory Palace. As a branding person the name itself was already a winner, would the podcast disappoint?  Oh, no.  The host Nick Di Meo has a very calm & soothing voice and is able to take history and spin it into wonderful tales in usually less than 5 minutes. My only gripe would be that I would want these snippets to last longer, I don't want them to end but as in all good things, I suppose they must.  I highly recommend both of these podcasts, they are interesting, informative, entertaining and enlightening. Do you listen to any podcasts that I should know of?  I am pretty new to the podcasts realm, but I love having them on while I am packing parcels or working on the computer.

Masha (July 25, 2012 at 9:14 AM)  

I am in love with Missed In History. I'm so glad that someone listens to them too!

I feel like the US is getting a lot of those kinds of storms lately... Ohio had one a couple weeks ago.

Miss B. (July 25, 2012 at 9:58 AM)  

Masha I am OBSESSED with that podcast. I want to know more like it as I have gone through every episode already!

Kathy Campbell (July 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM)  

Oh dear....I need to check up on that then!!

I've started listening to Back to Work which is with this guy Merlin and someone else and it's fantastic. The first episode alone totally was amazing! It's this inspirational working and workflow and self promotion and marketing and branding and technology podcast. I highly recommend it!

Christine (July 25, 2012 at 5:09 PM)  

Funny, I'd been contemplating moving to that area where you now live. Love the weather reports. Being from the Midwest, I left all that behind for CA and your posts remind me why! On the topic of podcasts, I've been in love with A Prairie Home Companion and This American Life forever. More recently have come across Stories I Told Myself and Here's the Thing. I'll have to check out the two you mentioned! Hope your grill still works!

Miss B. (July 25, 2012 at 8:20 PM)  

Kathy & Christine I will be looking those up! I am little addicted, it feels so old timey like listening to the radio. I used to listen to A Prairie Home Companion in the car and I am in love with Ira Glass, love! Thank you both for introducing me to new ones!

Jess (July 25, 2012 at 11:47 PM)  

Oh goodness me, I wait with baited breath for new RadioLab podcasts to come out... If you've never caught one before, you're in for a treat -- there are 4 or 5 seasons you can binge on. Mesmerizing!

Miss B. (July 26, 2012 at 8:08 AM)  

Jess, that is a pretty amazing endorsement, I am going to look into it today!

Alex (July 30, 2012 at 7:04 PM)  

I am so sorry I am behind and just saw this! So happy you're loving Nick's stories. (I call them stories because they really are like great little tales wrapped up in tiny packages.)

I think The Brothers Booth remains my favorite. Though I often change favorites. There are so many to choose from.

Writing down the names of these other ones mentioned, too. History lovers unite!

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.