MY GARMIN A.K.A. MICHELLE

One of the best investments we made for this cross country journey was a GPS device. My husband and I both wonder how people survived before they were invented. A map? Stop and ask for directions? Stars? Firstly, I can never read a map while the car is moving that's instant nausea. Secondly, my husband would rather end up at the tip of Tasmania on a precipice two inches over hanging the ocean before he would ever ask directions and even then he would be convinced we were going in the general correct direction. He did some research on GPS devices before we purchased the Garmin which is a good thing because that sounds about as exciting as watching paint dry to me. The drive cross country we used the factory default voice and when we got to North Carolina my husband announced we could change voices and would I prefer an English accent?  I said, 'of course'. Who doesn't want to be directed by an English accent? It would sound so educated and thus couldn't guide me into some remote forest to be hacked up by a rogue Yeti/Axe murderer. Being the non-techy guy he is he set it to English but another voice came up instead, he said that her voice was called 'Michelle'.  I don't know if he made that up but I have just gone with it.  Michelle has a bit of an attitude, it's almost as if she is mocking me, "Duh, turn right here, right now." Whenever I plug in my destination address Michelle always chooses the scenic route and the longest way possible.  I have tried to hit her 'detour' option but basically that takes me in circles until she gets her way.  Yesterday when I drove the 2.5 hours to Ikea (idiot) she took me through some of the loveliest backwoods you ever did see.  If I wasn't by myself and the only one on the road for 116 miles I may have enjoyed it a bit more.  Even with all her foibles I am still grateful to have her around, she hasn't let me down once in delivering me to my destination and she can even find a local Starbuck's or mall if so desired.  I wish she could find some awesome Thrift stores but she's not that good yet. One day....Happy weekend everyone!

P.S. This was taken at the Raleigh Farmer's Market, it's HUGE and is open 7 days a week!

spiral style (June 1, 2012 at 6:06 PM)  

So was your trip to Ikea successful? Can't wait to hear.

Miss B. (June 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM)  

Deb, yes and no. I don't have a sofa still, lol. I have some bookcases being delivered in high gloss white which is the antithesis of my nature loving style, but I think I had low blood sugar, hah! I promise to give a full update soon (I need to recover first, hah).

elizabeth (June 4, 2012 at 2:24 PM)  

so I've read your IKEA field trip post and I'm so sorry. I used to live a great distance from one and I'd have mini-seizures trying to decide to buy or not to buy? will it fit? etc.

as for thrifting - I haven't used it yet but I hear good things about the thriftbuddy app. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thriftbuddy/id383025389?mt=8

can't wait to see the 'hot mess'

Miss B. (June 5, 2012 at 8:08 AM)  

Elizabeth, thanks for the app tip! Yes, it's such pressure right? I didn't realize how good I had it before when Ikea was 30 minutes away (I used to balk at the distance). There's a sweet little flea market not too far but I need more (greedy little interior design fiend;)

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.