FAVOR BOX D.I.Y. :: GILDED RACING STRIPE

This tutorial seems so silly in its simplicity, but even the most simple projects can be wrought with disaster--I know this from first hand experience.  Our favor boxes are made of a recycled kraft material that is more heavy and dense than the average kraft box so it can take paint, glue, stamping, etc. pretty seamlessly.  I can't promise you will have the same results if you used a different substrate but you can try (never any harm in trying, right?).  I used a gold paint, but you could use neon pink (super trendy right now), white, black, aqua, etc.  It's the little shot of color that keeps this project from looking too 'crafty'; I love crafts, but I don't like when things look too crafty.
Your supplies will be:

-Substrate (in this case the Besotted Brand favor boxes)
-Martha Stewart multi-surface gold paint
-Foam brush or small flat edged paint brush

Usually I would say that most supplies could be easily substituted, but I tried masking, artist and green frog painters tape for this supposedly simple project and each one stuck to the top of the box and ripped when I removed the tape. The washi tape was amazing, it came off no problem and had the perfect amount of staying power so no paint seeped underneath--love this stuff! Martha's new multi-surface paint is amazing truly and the gold has a beautiful sheen to it.  I tried using a liquid gold leaf (extravagant) but it just seeped into the fibers of the box and looked like I picked it up with greasy hands after devouring a bag of French fries. I would suggest a flat edged paint brush over the foam brush (I have SO many of the foam brushes I wanted to use at least one). The flat edged brush offers a more even and opaque coverage.
All you need to do from here is start painting!  The paint will dry fairly rapidly, but since I am the most impatient individual ever I put the boxes in front of a desk top fan and they dried in minutes.
Done & done.  You have a simple + modern unique box to house your favors, gifts or even supplies!

spiral style (June 29, 2012 at 7:09 AM)  

So simple but yet elegant.
Have a lovely weekend.

diane @ a spot of whimsy (June 29, 2012 at 7:49 AM)  

might be simple but it adds so much, and i appreciate you letting us know the supplies you used, so helpful!

Miss B. (June 29, 2012 at 8:15 AM)  

Deb & Diane a happy weekend to you both too! I love simple + elegant (and easy)!

xx,

Miss B.

Charmaine (June 29, 2012 at 12:45 PM)  

Love this project! Looks like something I could do this with my sons. The gold is gorgeous. Maybe we'll try other colors too, fun!

Miss B. (June 29, 2012 at 1:52 PM)  

Charmaine, I think the key is paint for paper (I am loving all the Martha multi-surface paints) and use the flat edged brush for more opaque, the foam brush didn't work that well for me!

Catherine (June 29, 2012 at 3:28 PM)  

Thank you for this little tutorial Miss B! Simple + Elegant + Easy is my favorite combination :) Do you think this gilded striping could work on any/most surfaces—I'm thinking canvas...

Again, thank you...

Miss B. (June 29, 2012 at 3:39 PM)  

Catherine this paint reads that it works on every surface EVEN glass! I am so excited about trying some glass out. So I do believe canvas would work really well. With the canvas I would use the green painters tape (I think it's called frog), make sure the canvas is pre-primed so it is ready to accept paint, if not add a layer of white gesso to prime it prior to adding your stripe, but you can get most canvases pre-primed for the same price as unprimed. Also, use a flat edged brush a little wide, make sure it's not so cheap that the bristles fall out (Yes, I tried this with a cheap brush and it was a gross mess)!

Have fun:)

Beth (June 29, 2012 at 4:38 PM)  

Thanks for the tips! I really want to try out that paint now.

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.