TIPS TO SELLING ON CRAIGSLIST

I haven't been updating my virtual moving sale because I have been too busy selling items from Craigslist. I figured I would give you some tips on what I have learned. I suppose these little tips are only good stateside, but I am sure there has to be a Craigslist type site overseas, if not take the idea and run, make tons of money and remember your ol' pal Miss B here.  The key to getting your items some interest/traffic:
  • Make sure that you include in the description the type of item you are selling. If it is a name brand include it in the title. 
  • Put the item for sale in the right category.  I was selling furniture, thus I put it in the furniture category. 
  • In your description include all the pertinent details, the dimensions, color, age, quality, etc. 
  • Include really great photographs.  You don't need to be a great photographer to do this just make sure you shoot the object without a ton of distractions in the way, good light, a full body shot and a detail shot. The more photos the better. 
  • Price your items competitively (look and see what other people have priced the same type of item for). 
  • In your description make the note 'if this is still up here, it's still for sale'. This will avoid all those emails that start 'is this still available?'
  • Once your item sells delete it from Craigslist. 
  • Make sure before your potential buyer comes over to have your item clean and ready to be sold. Fingerprints, dirt smudges, etc. could get people wanting to low ball you or worse turn around and not buy it.
  • Be careful!  I didn't show anything without having my very muscular husband present.
  • Beware of scams, you can read about them on Craigslist.
I ended up selling my sofa, garden furniture, mirrors,  rugs, dishes, tables, lamps, etc. In two days, I was nearly sold out of everything!  My upstairs neighbor had tried to sell her furniture previously and had no bites (and she had awesome items!). If you are like me and don't have the luxury of time, than take these tips and watch the emails come pouring in.

spiral style (April 8, 2012 at 8:09 PM)  

I've had great success with craigslist and your tips are all great. Here are a few more

Specify cash only
Include dimension
Mention what it would cost if they purchased new with the link. (purchased at Pottery Barn for $xxx.00)

My pet peeve with craigslist purchasers are that they say they'll "be right over" and then you wait, then they say hubby took the truck, how about tomorrow, then, we had to put our dog down, I'm too sad to do it today. True story!! This was the story of my last item sold.

Susan (April 9, 2012 at 8:30 AM)  

We've had great luck in the past on Craigslist....and these are good tips!

Miss B. (April 9, 2012 at 12:54 PM)  

Deb, you are right a link to similar items is a great idea! And yes, my husband was going nuts with all the flaky people, it was quite a few. Lot's of war stories I could share. Susan, I wish I lived near you I am POSITIVE that I would love what you put up for sale!

Lorraine (April 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM)  

I have things I'd like to sell on Craigslist, but I'm terrified. I was wondering, have you ever listed anything on Ebay classifieds? I was thinking of trying that route.

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.