ROUTE 66

This was right outside our hotel this morning.  Let me write that again, this was right outside our hotel this morning. I wanted to make it clear when I go over the conversation with my husband that that this was right outside the hotel. I saw it the night before and knew we would be leaving the next morning after sunrise and that the light would be nice. I mentioned to my husband that I wanted to shoot it before we left, how could I not? Talk about iconic, right?  He agreed. The next morning, when we were leaving even earlier than planned I reminded him that I wanted to photograph the sign that it would take five minutes, maybe less. You know what he said? He said we needed to get on the road, I reminded him that it would be five minutes and he answered, "five minutes could put us back an hour when we are driving 11 hours." Wha? Really? In what time zone is this guy traveling in?  Seriously?  I took my shot anyway, I don't know if this opportunity would ever come up again and I have never heard of this weird time factoring he had going on. I think we might kill each other on this trip. It's stressful enough moving cross country, but add in a filled to the brim truck, two naughty dogs and the world's most neurotic man and I am a little on edge. We did make it through the rest of Arizona and through New Mexico today, I am sitting here typing this in lovely Amarillo, Texas. I will add more pics tomorrow, tonight I am so tired that my eye lids need toothpicks to stay open for a second longer.  We're off to Memphis tomorrow!

Erin (May 1, 2012 at 8:10 AM)  

This made me laugh... In a nice way ;) Hope it all goes smoothly (as smoothly as it can). A few funny stories to tell along the way are part & parcel, aren't they?! 5 minutes setting you back an hour - sounds like my husband! Oi... Travel safe x

Jules (May 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM)  

It is a well known fact that male logic all but disappears during road trips. My husband is the same way. Heaven forbid we stop to eat or, you know, use the restroom. And we have small children! I keep telling him (screaming) they're children! We need to stop and let them move their legs! If it were up to him, we'd drive through fast food joints everything 5 or so hours and use diapers. ALL of us.

TM (May 1, 2012 at 12:05 PM)  

Don't you just love the honeymoon stage ; )

martha (May 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM)  

haha! My husband, bless his heart (used in the southern sense, that lets you nicely say horrible things about people), drives me up the f*ing wall on road trips. We've found that if we get books on tape, we're likely to still be speaking at our destination. Cracker Barrel lets you check them out, and return them to any location - it's been invaluable. Good luck!

Mrs. Limestone (May 1, 2012 at 2:36 PM)  

This post is cracking me up. Glad you got the shot.

Slappin B!tches Since 1982! (May 1, 2012 at 3:30 PM)  

Ha ha ha well at least you are off to Memphis! Awesome food there! I am not sure if the BBQ fest is still going on, regardless most places are yummy there. As for the shot... it really is amazing!
Your husband and my ex need to talk about this time vortex cause my ex knew of it too. I flat out broke a cell phone cause I threw it at them in time continuum frustration once driving back from VT, it was a glorious spring Tuesday afternoon and we were going to be late. Late for what, I have no idea cause we had no plans that night... so we couldn't stop... I was beyond pissed.

Kathy Campbell (May 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM)  

Deep breaths, love! Cross country driving trips and moving are both one of the biggest relationship testers! Doing them together is rough!

The weekend Mr. Soup and I got engaged we drove from Chicago to a town in Minnesota (where my parents were for the weekend), then back through Chicago to North Eastern Indiana (to meet his mom) before driving back to Chicago.

It was amazing and insane and draining and incredible. It really made a difference in our relationship!

{debbie} (May 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM)  

You are a riot! & everyone's comments, too funny! Pick your battles... only a few more states, hang in there!

Kendra (May 3, 2012 at 2:49 PM)  

That is funny! So good that you got your pic after all :)
So I am reading every ones comments on travel with their hubbys and I have to chuckle. You see, when we travel, I drive He pays so much attention to his surroundings that he ends up all over the road. I tell him I am going to drive so he can gawk and take pics :) If I see something I want a pic of though, we stop!
Jill @ Sew a Fine Seam had some good things to say about you so I came to visit :)

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.