CROSS COUNTRY TRAVEL MADE EASY

One of my good friends mentioned once that she really liked when I had a theme on the blog, 'yeah, you and me both' is what I was thinking.  I know she really liked it when I did the week of digital magazines and I did too, it's amazing how creative you can be if you are organized, knowing what I was going to write about made it a lot easier to come up with something semi-interesting for you. I know that this little pit stop on the information super highway can sometimes be a bit hodge podge. I decided that it just might be easier to dedicate these next few weeks to getting ready for my cross country move and the in's and out's of it all. My first little bit of wisdom is the Automotive  Association of America a.k.a. AAA. I have been a member since I first started driving (let's not do the math and suffice to say that it's been a long time). It's a $50 investment a year and the membership more than pays for itself in both perks and peace of mind. I initially got it in case my car broke down, they come replace your tire, jumpstart your car, tow you for free (well, the $50 membership a year fee that makes it feel nearly free). AAA also gets you discounts on too many things to mention but if you insist you can get discounts on travel, hotels, restaurants, theme parks, mattresses, tutoring, flower delivery, junk pick-up, gym memberships and on and on. This is a good investment folks. The best thing I discovered is that AAA would help us plan our trip cross country--free. We called and told them where we were going, they asked us what route we wanted--most direct? scenic? etc. and how long we wanted to drive each day. We told them we had dogs and needed hotels that would allow them. While we were on the phone they gave us options for different cities--did we want to drive 7 hours one day and stay in Oklahoma City or were we up for driving 9 hours and staying in Little Rock? When we got off the phone we had our route created, the timeline for the trip, our hotels booked (with a AAA discount of course) and the directions and confirmations emailed to us. Talk about convenient!  Our first stop cross country will be Albuquerque, New Mexico. I would love to tell you that I would be spending the day there exploring, but we will get there in the evening and most likely leave at the crack of dawn. Did I mention my husband likes to keep to a schedule? Well, he does and if AAA told him it would take 7 hours to get somewhere you can darn guarantee he will be there in 7 hours.

P.S. I am going to be pushing the Virtual Moving Sale this month, so forgive me in advance. I want to pack as light as possible and would love for someone to bring home my goods. It seems like items are selling swiftly so if you peek in there and it's light on inventory know I will be adding to it soon!

Anonymous –  (April 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM)  

Welcome to Albuquerque! Make sure you try the green chile and authentic New Mexican food while you're here! Make sure to take in a beautiful sunset too! Our weather has just changed again (snowed on Tuesday) but is beautiful now. The sunsets don't disappoint. Enjoy your time!

Trisha Hughes

Slappin B!tches Since 1982! (April 5, 2012 at 12:52 PM)  

I found my love for AAA at a very young age. Seeing as how growing up, my family didn't have a lot of money, our family vacations would be road trips to places around the country. My dad, ever the planner, used to plan our yearly road trip with AAA. Most scenic route and nice yet cheap accommodations for a family on a budget.
I have to say I have traveled to many places in the US and abroad and still to this day my favorite trip EVER, hands down, was the road trip he planned from Jersey up to PEI one summer. It was a long trip but it was absolutely amazing. I think now that GPS exists we forget the art of a well planned road trip. Much luck with the drive!

Adri (April 5, 2012 at 3:35 PM)  

I'll never forget prepping for a cross country road trip with a girlfriend to move her car from CA to Corpus Christi, TX. This was before GPS and iPhone dependency maimed the population from their map reading skills.

We stopped by the local AAA branch and they did a 'TripTik' travel planner for us and we loved having the security of knowing where we were going plus the enjoyment of little facts and blurbs about the cities we were passing.

Even now I wouldn't depend on a device to get me where I'm going when there's a chance it could die or lose a signal, with maps you can hardly go wrong!

Miss B. (April 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM)  

Indira I think that's awesome, I wish my parents planned trips around the US, I can't wait to see more of it! Adri we're a little old school like that, we'll still have GPS (because my husband LOVES gadgets) but we will be using the map, we did for the last couple trips we took.

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.