TABLETOP PHOTOGRAPHY CLASS

I have mentioned previously my struggle with my product photography.  I am not used to being so literal with my photography, I usually take great liberties with my photographs and virtually re-create an image. To see something and shoot it as is, so not my strong suit.  I have learned some tricks by trial and error, but my shop is up and running, I don't have the luxury of experimentation right now.  That is why when Nicole Gerulat offered her Tabletop Photography class in October I signed up the first day.  Due to technical difficulties they had to push the class back to November 1st, which for me leaving next week for my honeymoon is not exactly great timing but there is no time to whine, I need to learn some skills like yesterday. I've taken a few of Nicole's classes both live and on-line and I can attest to her skill as a teacher. The classes have lots of examples and answered many questions (Nicole after all is a professional working photographer for magazines such as Real Simple). If you can afford the small investment I don't think you will be disappointed.  

I also was sent this link on product photography from Etsy, I am a fan of Miniature Rhino (best company name ever) and it was great to see her 'behind the scenes'.  I am still a little confused on what lens I should be working with, I shoot everything now with my 50mm 1.4 but it's not very conducive to the type of shots I am trying to re-create. I will be renting some lenses to see which one will be best for my images (but I am open to any tips in the comments, hint, hint). I do believe with anything the more you do it the more honed your skills become.  So I am going to keep plugging away and I promise to share any great epiphanies I have (if I have any).

Brandi Hussey (November 10, 2011 at 9:47 PM)  

As I just got my 50mm 1.8 lens a few weeks ago, the newest things in my shop were shot with my 18-55mm kit lens. After some experimentation between the two, I can say that while I love my nifty fifty, I can't get as close to small products (like jewelry) as I'd like with it. So... if you need to shoot close ups, a kit lens or a zoom lens would be my choice.

jessica/miniature rhino (November 10, 2011 at 11:17 PM)  

Hey now! Look at that, a really sweet shout out- thank you! I think your photos are great. I loved looking around your shop. I added your question to my blog post here... http://bit.ly/vQP2hx.

FerrellGraph-x (November 11, 2011 at 8:28 AM)  

Hi Miss B.

I just got my email newsletter on your Besotted Brand Launch!
Congratulations!!!
Kindest regards,
Jennifer

Miss B. (November 11, 2011 at 2:37 PM)  

Dear Brandi-

I am glad you mentioned that as I was thinking about that the other day. I will try it today. I don't have much natural light in my apartment any longer (they are building a 10 story building next door and it has cut out my light, boo!) So I wasn't sure how my Lowell ego lights would work with the kit, I shall try, thank you!

Dear Jessica,

A celebrity on my blog! Yea! Thank you for popping by and answering my question, I shall be visiting your blog today for the answer!

Dear Jennifer:

Thank you for the congrats! It only took me about a month to figure out how to use the email thinga-ma-bob to send the email, lol.

xx,

Miss B.

Unknown (November 12, 2011 at 11:11 AM)  

I love Nicole's classes so you can't go wrong with learning more, but good photography isn't the only aspect of shooting tabletop...the styling of the merch is perhaps even more important. You've got the style so just shoot!

Becky@sugarfromsunshine (November 13, 2011 at 7:40 PM)  

I love Nicole's book and ordered this lens http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&sku=12182&is=USA&A=details&Q= on her recommendation and can no longer take a bad picture regardless of how little I actually know about what I am doing! I love your blog & designs.

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.