MMXI::TWELVE

Ah, this feels more like it....I love soft, neutral colors.  I especially like creamy whites, nudes and blushes. I tried to make these balloons more blush less rosy but I am not great with color swaps and taking these from a non-descript blue to this pink color was about as far as my skill set goes (ask me in a few months I am sure I will be much better). All this editing is really helping me figure out what has been 'off' about my photography.  I wasn't expecting to learn anything on the pre-shooting side from editing but I am learning a heck of a lot. I know I prefer a soft image to tack sharp, I adore square crops, not too much yellow on my whites and lot's and lot's of light. I also am gravitating towards dark, dramatic images with a lot of contrast (a light subject on a dark background).  I think it helps to know what I like, prior to this project I could only say 'I know what I like when I see it' but couldn't really articulate it.  This project is helping me figure out my future subjects and time of day/evening to shoot and has given me another challenge to look forward to. If you're in a photo rut I suggest trying it for a week or so and you too may be surprised what you learn about yourself and how your creativity will start to flourish again.

Chelsea C. (January 26, 2011 at 10:39 AM)  

Wow! This one is particularly awesome -- especially after you've seen the original image. I look forward to these every day!

Jules (January 26, 2011 at 11:57 AM)  

I look forward to these every day, too. This is a great project!

Andree (January 26, 2011 at 1:54 PM)  

Hello Miss B! A very interesting comment you make about how your post-process process is leading you to learn more of what you want to achieve "up front" (as you take the image). I'm going to keep this in mind.

A lovely shot - it reminds me a a little girls' birthday party!

Miss B. (January 26, 2011 at 2:19 PM)  

Thank you ladies for the encouragement, so appreciated!

Wiggs (The Beholder) (January 26, 2011 at 9:25 PM)  

This is SO inspiring. I'm in love. You make me want to work even harder on my photography skillz. I'm fairly new to your blog but I'm about to read as much of the archives as I can...but in case you haven't already done this, how would you feel about doing a couple of posts on learning photo editing? (I'm going to be really embarrassed if you already have and I just haven't gotten that far yet.) I feel like most photographers can figure out how to frame a picture, but it's harder to teach oneself how to edit. Anyway, just a suggestion in case you ever get bloggers' block (happens to me all the time).

Miss B. (January 27, 2011 at 3:15 AM)  

Hello Wiggs thank you for stopping by + the sweet words! I actually will be teaching classes soon for my Souvenir Foto School. I want to be able to video the tutorials so it makes more sense, I feel flat tutorials are hard to comprehend for a beginner, well even advanced it can be tricky. It's nice to be able to see my layers palette and how my actions work etc. I have some good ideas about how the class will be laid out (well, I like to think I do). I would love to get feedback on what you would like to learn, it'll help when I set up the classes.

xx,

Miss B.

Post a Comment

I am honored + thrilled that you are leaving me a note! Please know your sweet thoughts are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

xx,

Miss B.